Monday, January 11, 2010

Guides like to share their guidance




This is an e-mail I received this morning that triggered me to write this post...which proves I'm a bit slow since I received about a ton of similar e-mails that didn't ring a bell. Shame on me. Here's the email. I've made the important things bold.


"Hi Emina,

First of all I wish you a fantastic 2010!

I'm sorry my answer took so long. After our last contact a couple of months ago, I have added more info to the page of [City] and intend to go further with it, as soon as I get some free time.
I would also love to become a travel guide. The only problem is, that I live in Amsterdam, and could be of assistance to travelers on location in [City] only for a limited time period, say a month or two per year.
However, I told some friends in [City] about it and they were very enthusiastic about taking part in making the page of [City] more attractive and becoming guides.
Of course I will keep you up to date and I hope I can turn to you, if necessary, for help.

Regards,
[Guide]"

This letter really shows what has been asked from me the ultimate three months of being an editor at Mediamatic TravelFirst of all people want to add their favorite things to a city, not to their guidepage! It indicates that having your page with your favorite things isn't that important to guides at all. What's important is that your favorites are added to the city page.

Second, people don't mind to share their guiding. I think we thought guides would be very competitive to attract the most visitors. However this is not the case, they are actually happy to share the guiding with their network.

Once again I have to conclude that the guidepage should be removed and becoming a guide should be made much easier. Also we have to find a way to communicate the inactivity of guides. Guides now just finish their guidepage and then quit participating. There has to be a way of communicating this o potential visitors/ viewers of the guidepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment